Friday 5 August 2011

Ramadhan 1432H post #4

Reading about someone who is not a Muslim but wants to actually try practice the religion, somehow touched my heart. :)

---

"I’m not muslim. I know very little of the religion. But this month I’ll be participating in Ramadan and learning as much as I can about the religion. This will include reading the Quran from start to finish. I’m not sure if practicing this will be a slap in the face to “true” Muslims due to my lifestyle choices but I firmly believe that this practice is a great opportunity to gain self discipline and humility.

I’ve never been a huge fan of religion despite the importance my dad pounded in my head. I went to church like most children but I guess the lord’s word never spoke to me. However I was well aware what Christians thought were abominations translated by my father: Homosexuals and Muslims.

There’s a mosque two minutes from our neighborhood. Every Friday I remembered heavy traffic around the church making it impossible to get in the neighborhood. There were even police to direct the chaos because so many people attended. It was notoriously known as Muslim Friday or Raghead Friday by all the high school kids caught in the traffic on their way home to start the weekend. I always associated the religion with racial slurs and terrorism. In fact, when the mosque was developing over the years my dad would drive by and call it the satan worshiper church. He truly believed that they didn’t believe in god and “if you don’t believe in god, you believe in Satan”. My how Christianity is often construed with a selfish and jealous deity!

Anyways, this post is not about my lack of faith and the reason why I don’t practice a religion. I guess I’m keeping a record of how this experience goes for me. I also want to inform my friends and family that every religion can be beautiful one if we step away from the ignorance. ..."

(via thirdtry)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...